Conditions of Use
Frequently Asked Questions
Using this site
Can't figure it out? Turn on Tooltips on the menu (Menu: ), and start mousing over everything. Or, you can read some of
the details here:
- Overview: Using clicks, double-clicks, right-clicks... Same as Menu:
- How the map, pop-up windows and menus work
What all these crazy Icons mean (there are nearly 100 in use, but fortunately they follow a pattern!) Menu:
- Using Skype
to call ASOS / ATIS from your computer. Really.
- Can I link to this website? Sure, select Menu: for this view. This will provide you with two codes. The upper code will open maps.AvnWx.com centered current address (i.e., airport, flight path, latitude/longitude). The weather and viewing settings will be initiailized to their default values. The lower code will open maps.AvnWx.com to the current address, with the same configuration as you are currently viewing (showing or hiding METARs, PIREPs, tooltips, etc. For most purposes, the simpler first code will be sufficient.
Where does all this data come from, and how often is it updated?
- Here's a Table with all the details, also available from Menu:
- Much of this comes from ASOS and AWOS. Learn about them here.
Additional Weather and Flight Restrictions Details
Stuff your CFI told you, but you're a little fuzzy on the details... This will provide more background on
what some of these weather services cover, how we use and present this information to you.
- Known Problems Other than simply anyone still using IE6, here are some other pointers. Seriously, flying a 50 year-old airframe is one thing. A ten year old browser is really scary.
- Email... Please! No point my having a website if you don't understand how it works, or if it's not working for you. Menu:
Suggestions? Questions? Corrections? Let us know!